Thursday 27 October 2011

The sister in the shop didn't arrive at church on Sunday. I returned to the shop today at lunchtime after three days leave, with The Book of Mormon copy prepared. We chatted - she explained that she went to her own church - habit. " I don't like going too deep into it" she says after I explain the Book of Mormon is not lost scriptures from the Bible, as she thought - that it came from a prophet family from Jerusalem at the time of the prophet Isaiah who were led to the American continent and started a 1000 year old civilisation. "It testifies of Christ, and complements the Bible." I invite and commit. "Will you read from the sections I have suggested?" She says" Well, I will read a few pages and if I don't like it I will stop." "Is it OK if I come back in a few days to see how you have got on" "Sure." At this point a customer walks in and we say goodbye.

I then go to an upholstery shop for some curtains I need. I have a joke with the shopkeeper, who then leaves and I am served by his assistant. I make the purchase and forget to offer a PAC. I walk out the shop realising this and knowing I need to go back, when the shopkeeper returns down the road. So, we acknowledge each other and I say offering him the PAC "This is the real deal church - you've got to look into it. You can get a free DVD and also there is this great website that will tell you all about it." He accepts the card and I feel OK again!!

A great day yesterday. Michael Paczensky, a convert from June 2010 and my faithful Home Teaching companion for over a year was set apart by President Baldock as a Full-time missionary serving in the Leeds England Mission for 24 months. I got to be in the setting apart Melchizedek Priesthood circle, along with Bishop Gareth Wretham, 1st Councillor Ken Walker, and Derek Rutter, who with Gill his wife took Elder Paczensky to Preston MTC today! Those of you who know Michael will know how deep he is and with a huge compassion and desire to serve. He taught me some important lessons as we served together. He will surely love many back to their Heavenly Father and the Lord and into the companionship of the Holy Ghost.

Yesterday was even greater than that. My daughter Christina in Edmonton, Alberta gave birth to her second child Phoebe Josephine. It was a super quick labour and now she is still shocked that she has her perfect little girl already at home with less discomfort than she could possibly have hoped for during labour.
So as I am paying for petrol for the car yesterday morning on my way to Sidcup, I tell the cashier " I'm a granddad again today!" "Congratulations" she immediately offers feeling my happiness. "I'd like to give you this," I say, handing a PAC. It's about a very special Church that has brought me and my family great happiness, and it can give you the same. Please take time to get the DVD and study the website. Will you do this?" "OK, thanks," says she looking at the PAC with interest.

So, it's simple once you do it again and again and again until it is simple and the most natural thing to do as a member of the Lord's kingdom trying to let others know about the wonderful blessings that await them if they will but take a look in faith and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment